One of the statements I hear most often about social media is “I just don’t have enough time to be involved in social media.” This is followed by a close second “I don’t see how Facebook relates to my business.”
If offered the opportunity, would any business turn down a free television advertisement? Why not? Because the view is that a television advertisement reaches in to people’s homes and can reach a broad population of potential clients. The truth is that a television advertisement reaches a broad population, most of whom are not likely clients. The difference is that a Facebook fan page reaches out through Facebook fans to Facebook friends of those fans. Hence, the Facebook presence has much more authenticity and power because it works like a referral from a friend or an acquaintance, rather than an intrusion on mainstream media.
So how to use a Facebook fan page?
- Start a Facebook fan page
- Fill the fan page with photos, events, and high quality content
- Invite friends and ask employees to suggest the page to friends
- Regularly update the page with specials and offers
- Engage with your fans and potential clients as you would at a trade show